April 4th, 2021 – Easter
WORSHIP & Bible Study
Worship is at 10AM, Lord’s Supper for those present.
This week’s service Bulletin/Worship Link Here
Zoom Info: Meeting ID: 645 848 5288 Passcode: miracles
Bible Study after service or 11:15ish. I’ll keep the zoom line on.
Devotion & Prayer Thought
Of the Easter readings I find the Apostle Paul’s touching. We know Paul by his letters. Or we think we know him because of His distinctive authorial voice. A voice that even seems to survive translation. Paul even addresses this in scripture. Apparently, the physical Paul didn’t jive with the authorial. From 2 Corinthians 2:10, “For they say, ‘His letters are weighty and strong, but his bodily presence is weak, and his speech of no account.’”
Paul knows his gifts. He also knows his deeds. “I worked harder than any of them.” And as they say it isn’t bragging if you can back it up, which Paul could. Such things might easily lead to envy or splits. Peter walks right up to that line in scripture. From 2 Peter 3:15-16, “Just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand.” Ultimately Peter’s words are a defense of Paul. It is one part of the body of Christ giving honor to another quite different one. Likewise that is Paul’s purpose in the Easter Epistle. We all believe and preach the same thing: Christ, crucified and risen, for you.
Not Peter nor Paul, nor any of the 500 the risen Jesus appeared to, nor his brother James or any of the apostles, preach something that elevates them. By the grace of God “I am what I am.” And Paul is what he is so that” the gospel which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved” might be held fast by you. He worked so hard so that his preaching might not be in vain, so that the grace of God might be displayed. He is jealous for success, he runs the race, but he runs the race not for himself, but for Christ. Which is why he can say “whether then it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed.” And he says it roughly after reciting the creed that we all recite.
We all stand, not because of the one doing the preaching, but because of the Word that is being preached. “Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, he was buried, and he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures.” This is the Word that I preach, it is the Word we all preach, it is the Word you believed. Stand firm and rejoice, Christ is risen.
UPCOMING ACTIVITIES FOR WEEK OF: April 5th – April 11th
Mon. – Fri. ……….….… 9:00amPreschool
Tuesday: ………………. 7:00pm Board of Elders Mtg
Wednesday: …………… 9:00am NO Confirmation Class
Thursday: ……………… 10:00amBible Study
Sunday: …………………. 10:00am Worship
11:00am Bible Study
- Thurs 10am: Ezekiel – Chap 35
- Confirmation: Two weeks off (3/31, 4/7), back 4/14. Elder questions 5/4
- Life Application Fellowship (LAF): March 24th. See you on the Zoom line.
- Sunday Morning: Study will be at 11:15ish, after worship, Walking through the gospel of Mark – the one read in this year’s lectionary.
- Catechism Moment: 7th Commandment. If you are not receiving and want to, drop me your email.
UPCOMING EVENTS (please contact Ellen or Mindy if you would like to lend a hand with any of these projects)
- April 22nd (Thurs.) … Brownie baking and Beef cooking for Beef on Weck
- April 23rd (Fri.) … Potato salad & Cole Slaw Prep day for Beef on Weck
- April 24th (Sat.) … Spring Drive-Thru BEEF ON WECK Fundraiser Dinner
- June 24th (Thursday) … collecting begins for our Rummage Sale
- June 28th (Monday) … sorting and pricing begins for our Rummage Sale
- July 10th (Saturday) … RUMMAGE SALE
- July … week after the 10th … delivery to SAVERS